The third Story Factory Chichester, sponsored by JSPC Computer Services, on 30 October at St Wilfrid’s Church Community Hall, was a huge hit attracting 40 boys and girls aged 6-11 years old from 16 schools across Sussex and Hampshire.
Organised by Katy of Chichester Copywriter and writer Vicky Edwards with the umbrella theme of “Brilliant Beginnings”, the fabulously creative day went a little like this:
- “Getting to know you” performance game with music practitioner Mike Fry
- Talk on the importance of Brilliant Beginnings in books by Abi McMahon from Summersdale Publishers
- Creating and writing colourful zines (mini books) with photographer and teacher Rachel Poulton
- Lunch and playtime
- “Beat the mic” limbo game with music practitioner Mike Fry
- Illustrating stories and creating book covers with artist and teacher Jessica Venables
- An end of day performance including: a round up by Vicky Edwards, Mike Fry’s Sounds of Story Factory (the first lines of the children’s stories set to music), handing out certificates and goody bags
Throughout the day, as our creative copywriter walked around each table and chatted to the children as their creations unfurled. It was clear they had taken on board what the guest practitioners had shared with them – their stories were captivating and their front covers were in-keeping with the theme of their books while eye-catching.
The children, who quickly came out of their shells, were keen to read Katy their stories. She met everyone from a poor chicken called Phil, a lonely tiger who wanted to get married and an elephant who wouldn’t blow his nose to a Minion who kept a diary, a mermaid who couldn’t keep a secret and a girl who found a midnight garden.
Here’s what some of the parents said of the day:
“Just wanted to say a big thank you for the recent Story Factory Chichester, attended recently by my daughter Darcey and some of her friends. She had the most amazing day and absolutely enjoyed herself. Her dad came to see the end of day presentation and was also most impressed. Darcey is most keen to attend the next one…!”
“Thank you for another wonderful workshop – they are absolute highlights for Lucy and she is very proud of her book. Lucy is looking forward to the next one!”
Katy also received an email from a delighted parent who said that his child woke up the day after Story Factory and started writing another story – another imagination flying free, that’s what we love to hear.
Here’s to the next Story Factory Chichester in April 2016 and oodles more creativity! Please contact Katy of you would like to be added to the contact list about Story Factory Chichester workshops and events and visit Chichester Copywriter’s Facebook page to see more photos from the day.